About books

The place for all non-Hirano-related discussions.
Pers_Spiku

About books

Postby Pers_Spiku » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:43 am

How often have you met with a good book about vampires? No, really good with the brutal vampire - murderers, not the endless series about a school of magic in which vampires and werewolves learn with other mischief, and the main character - simple quite nice girl, or stupid love story like "Twilight," but the real horror, or at least a good story about monsters for adults. In my life such books like that is three, but unfortunately, all three books is part of a trilogy. In truth, I did not get to read the book (to end) in which no be Dracula, yes this books about him, and I have read 3 books for 3 days!
They tell about what happened before Bram Stoker's novel, explains many things to discuss, for example, how three brides of Dracula appeared in his castle, and why Van Hellsing was looking for Dracula all his life. In my opinion, quality of this book is better than original. All are recommended for reading, you will not regret.
Jeanne Kalogridis The Diaries of the Family Dracul:
Covenant with the Vampire (1995)
Children of the Vampire (1996)
Lord of the Vampires (1997)
Did somebody read them?
Can somebody names other awesome books about vampires and Dracula? :3
Markus1985

Re: About books

Postby Markus1985 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:22 am

Its not about Dracula, but to me Let the right one in (by John Ajvide Lindqvist) is one of the best new bloods in the genre.

Its probably more known for the movie adaption from 2008,
which would later be Americanized as Let me in, which is the English name for the book.

I highly recommend the book and the "original" film. :thumb:

"Not even a million enemies where able to make Rome afraid!
Yet Rome trembled whenever she heard the name of Hannibal!!"
- Scipio Africanus
Saphire Diablo

Postby Saphire Diablo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:01 pm

I think finding a book about dracula is far more difficult than just about vampire in general.
Dracula is someone else's creation, obviously you can't just add him into your own work, without thinking as to how it would affect the originality of your work.
Which is why Hellsing is very special. It's like an unofficial sequel of Dracula.

Vampire theme of course, is much easier and available than "Dracula" theme, such as Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles.
I have only seen the movie, it was not so good, but perhaps the book is better.
Interview with the Vampire (1976)
The Vampire Lestat (1985)
The Queen of the Damned (1988)
The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
Memnoch the Devil (1995)
The Vampire Armand (1998)
Merrick (2000)
Blood and Gold (2001)
Blackwood Farm (2002)
Blood Canticle (2003)
Prince Lestat (2014)
Blood Paradise (Forthcoming)

Also The Saga of Darren Shan for a younger audience, consist of 12 books, plus 4 prequel:
Cirque du Freak
The Vampire's Assistant
Tunnels of Blood
Vampire Mountain
Trials of Death
The Vampire Prince
Hunters of the Dusk
Allies of the Night
Killers of the Dawn
The Lake of Souls
Lord of the Shadows
Sons of Destiny
Pers_Spiku

Postby Pers_Spiku » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 am

I have tried to read Blood Canticle of Anne Rise, but I couldn't :D When I'm reading books, I imagine Alucard as main character always, but her main character Lestat is so pathetic perfect idiot (on the bike) :) He infuriates me. And all what is happening is so Gothic and beautiful, It infuriates me too :D The movies about her books is another story,The Queen of the Damned was my favorite movie in my teenage time, and Interview with the Vampire is a perfect film about vampires, one of the best, I think.

But of course I start interest vampires because Hellsing :XP I think, it's very fresh thing about vampires, about image of Dracula, and it's very unusual for Manga too.I have no idea what it can be compared.

Please, read books wich I recommended, it'll change your life, you'll see :3

Return to “The Inn”