Newbie reporting in!

Newcomers please report yourself here.
Wordaddict

Newbie reporting in!

Postby Wordaddict » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Well hello there!

I'm new around this board as I've recently managed to get back into the Hellsing fandom, now I just keep thinking how could I ever have gone away from this wonderful series!? Aside from obviously being a fan of Hirano, I'm a 20-year old Danish girl (Philosophical note: what on earth do I call myself at this age? Girl? Woman? Perhaps lady?); I began reading Hellsing when a Danish publication company started to print the series, sadly enough, it went bankrupt before finishing the complete series. Thankfully, comic book stores sold the Dark Horse' publications so that didn't stop me screaming at the final volume for Alucard to come back. Despite Hellsing's er... gruesome nature I absolutely feel in love with the twisted universe as I'm sure everyone else here have. ;) I finally managed to watch the OVAs and it completely lived up to my expectations! I must admit, I'm sitting with the same feeling as when I laid down the final volume of the manga - it's so empty!

Anyway, I hope everyone has enjoyed their summer so far by staying inside on the internet :thumb:
Markus1985

Re: Newbie reporting in!

Postby Markus1985 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello and welcome to our humble forum. It's great to see more scandinavians coming along. :D

I feel your pain for Mangismo too...

They published Hellsing in Sweden as well, untill they broke down,
and pretty much marked the end of the golden age of mangafever over here in Sweden,
even though the publisher Egmont took over and finished Hellsing and Chrono Crusade eventually. :cry:

"Not even a million enemies where able to make Rome afraid!
Yet Rome trembled whenever she heard the name of Hannibal!!"
- Scipio Africanus
Saphire Diablo

Postby Saphire Diablo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Hey Wordaddict! Welcome to the forum!

A publisher went bankrupt during Hellsing publication? 0_0
That's kind of unusual coincidence...

The second English language publisher for Hellsing (CY Publishing) for English speaking Asian region also went bankrupt.
Luckily they managed to finish Hellsing before going bankrupt right after that.
Wordaddict

Postby Wordaddict » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 pm

o.o how funny to meet another Scandinavian on here :D I had no idea that Mangismo published in Swedish as well. The printing house Carlsen took over a lot of their projects such as Hellsing and Death Note but well... I think the Danish manga community just has it in for these guys. They're slow, bad printing and from what I've heard bad translations as well.
I must admit I was surprised as well Saphire Diablo o.o I thought they made a decent amount of money off their translations but apparently not, which is odd because because the Hellsing franchise is always present at Danish conventions. I always manage to spot an Integra or Pip cosplayer :D it was sad to see Mangismo go down in flames because they were so passionate about the community and accepted suggestions for further releases :/
Timmo

Postby Timmo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 am

Hi and welcome to HiranoMoe :)
Hope you enjoy your stay in here and posting a lot!
Markus1985

Postby Markus1985 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 am

I don't think their bankruptcy had anymore to do with Hellsing than what it did the huge increase and inflation of manga/anime titles.
Just like Geneon and other anime distributors had to shut down when the released manga was more than what was bought.

We had a good start in Scandinavia, but unfortunately it never got as big as it did in Germany and France,
and now the most of the released work is "Major titles" like Naruto and One piece. :(

"Not even a million enemies where able to make Rome afraid!
Yet Rome trembled whenever she heard the name of Hannibal!!"
- Scipio Africanus
Wordaddict

Postby Wordaddict » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:32 am

Timmo, you'll be begging me to stop posting! I swear :D

As much as Fansubs are helpfully, I do think they have a say in the decrease of profit. Our main manga publisher Carlsen fairly recently stopped publishing manga titles o.o they're only continuing with Naruto. It's a damn shame :/ the charm of Mangismo was that they would pick up a bit "underground titles" such as Demon Diaries. However, I think it might be beneficial to the things that do get published/distributed. At least when it comes to Danish releases they are often extremely poor in either paper quality or when it comes to Anime, the voice acting is absolutely horrible! Scanbox released an uncut version of the old anime Ginga Nagareboshi Gin but wasn't able to obtain the master tapes so they simply lowered the sound whenever there was dialogue and had the Danish voice actors talk over the Japanese ones. So hopefully the competition might make distributors aware that they can't publish bad quality products.
Saphire Diablo

Postby Saphire Diablo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Actually as a scanlator myself I do feel the change is happening in the way people react to free anime/manga.
Scanlation used to be only for the community and was rather difficult to get.
Now with sites like MangaFox and all that, the relationship between the reader and scanlator is almost non-existent.
As such, the level of respect toward the creator that is typically held high inside the community is also deteriorating.

HiranoMoe did a service to the Drifters community several months ago, giving them chapter 35 or something,
not a single person outside HiranoMoe members actually came and thank us for that.
If you can't even be bothered to thank or join the community who gives you free and latest chapter,
I really can't see them being bothered to buy the actual book to support the creator, or the distributor,
for releasing something they have already read online for free.

Although very sad, this is perhaps the cause of the bankrupt of various manga distributor.
Wordaddict

Postby Wordaddict » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I use to a member of a very small community translating Yoshihiro Takahashi's works and I was very grateful for that, as people should be. Your point with Mangafox is very valid o.o I've never thought about it that way but now I can understand your feelings. Some might think the requirement of posting 15 non-spam posts on here to get access to the download is "excessive" but personally, I think it's a good thing. All (?) scanlators and sub-groups work for free so the least you can do is give them a pat on the shoulder and say "cheers". Perhaps people have just gotten ruder and forgot their basic manners :/ I always cringe whenever I see someone bugging a translator for the newest chapter or episode. Besides, the great thing about communities is... you don't have to bug your real life friend with your obsession over a fandom XD
gpa123

Postby gpa123 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:52 am

hi guys. gpa123 here from the phils. im an avid drifters fan. :)

Return to “The Headquarters”